- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards.
- Some hummingbirds fly at speeds greater than 33 miles per hour.
- A hummingbird’s wing beats take up so much energy, they spend the majority of their time resting on branches and twigs.
- Hummingbirds got their name from the humming noise their wings make in flight.
- A hummingbird’s metabolism is about 100 times faster than an elephant’s!
- Hummingbirds have no sense of smell.
- A hummingbird’s heart is relatively the largest of all animals at 2.5% of its body weight.
- A hummingbird weighs less than a nickel, on average.
- The iridescence of hummingbird feathers is a result of prism-like microstructures that fragment light into components of the spectrum, by a process of absorption and angle of light.
Length 32 inches / Can tied shorter